Re: [reSIProcate] Hi guys, am I in the right place?

Jason Fischl wrote:
Well, AIX is probably not competing with MacOSX even though they run on
similar processors now.  What you probably mean is IAX, which is yet another
PBX signaling/transport protocol.  From what I can tell, the world is moving
away from this direction, not towards it.  Asterisk's approach to SIP is to
essentially map a subset of SIP onto IAX, impose extra restrictions, and let
Asterisk mangle the data as it sees fit.  The signaling and media are forced
along the same path, which may or may not be what you want, but you lose
flexibility with respect to SIP.   The biggest reason you don't see more OSS
developed with reSIP is its license.  I have a mostly-complete plugin for
kopete to do presence and IM using resip with some stubs for voice calls.  I
haven't made it available because parts of Kopete are GPL and reSIP's VOCAL
license isn't GPL-compatible according to license@xxxxxxxx  This actually
prevents KDE applications from being written with reSIP unless you have a Qt
developer license, although I suspect Trolltech would be forgiving on this
issue.

The resip community is working on fixing the license to be GPL
compatible. Hopefully we will get this done in the next couple of
months.

Ok. Thanks guys for this info. I had not actually read the VOCAL license that carefully, I thought it was basically a rewording of BSD. Thanks for the heads up on this minefield and keep us posted.

henrik

--
Henrik.Ingo@xxxxxxxxx
+358-40-5697354