[reSIProcate] Hi guys, am I in the right place?

Hi guys

It seems to me, that there are great Open Source sip-proxies out there, but not so many great OSS softphones. Especially if we disregard the Linux-only ones. SipXPhone is one of the better, but even that falls into the same category with many freeware phones, they all have a lousy phone like interface which is not even close to being user friendly. I would like to see something that could seriously compete with Skype. But then, who wouldn't... In fact, pulver.Communicator is the only one I found if we go so far as to accept freeware. (And even that is currently windows only.) So there is clearly a void to fill here.

So the question is, what would we the easiest road to get there, and how long will that road be?

Some more specific questions:

1) Outside of Sipfoundry, do you know of any good cross-platform SIP/RTP stacks that even compete with you? Open Source, obviously.

2) In Sipfoundry we find the SipXtapi suite of libraries, and a more recent reSIProcate. It seems to me that * SipXtapi is a fairly easy api, I say "call this person" and the stack takes care of the rest. * SipXtapi knows nothing about instant messaging or presence. ("TAPI" is about phones anyway.)
 * reSIProcate does, and is more featureful anyway
 * reSIProcate too is quite easy to use, thanks to DUM
* reSIProcate otoh, is only about SIP, so I'll need an RTP stack from somewhere

The actual question: Have I understood this correctly?

3) Looking at this:
http://warsaw.sjc.purplecomm.com/wiki/index.php?title=Strawman_Task_List
it seems someone might have asked himself these same questions and also some others I don't even know to ask yet. Final questions therefore: Am I in the right place asking these questions? Is someone also on his way doing the best OSS softphone ever on resiprocate? Would it be a good idea to do that?

henrik ingo
finland, where supposedly our president looks like Conan O'Brien

--
Henrik.Ingo@xxxxxxxxx
+358-40-5697354