Re: [reSIProcate] Hi guys, am I in the right place?

Henrik Ingo wrote:

Hi guys

It seems to me, that there are great Open Source sip-proxies out there, but not so many great OSS softphones.

OSS - which OS is this?
Especially if we disregard the Linux-only ones. SipXPhone is one of the better, but even that falls into the same category with many freeware phones, they all have a lousy phone like interface which is not even close to being user friendly.

I don't even think SipXPhone is using resip, is it?
I would like to see something that could seriously compete with Skype. But then, who wouldn't... In fact, pulver.Communicator is the only one I found if we go so far as to accept freeware. (And even that is currently windows only.) So there is clearly a void to fill here.

Yes - especially the Mac. To this day, there is NO decent SIP phone for the Mac. I wouldn't call X-Lite decent... but Gizmo has promise, but I'm told it is designed to ONLY work in their
server.

You guys might be interested in this: http://imfederation.com/ Seems to be A federation of IM networks, committed to an interoperable world,
and they also mention SIP.

So the question is, what would be the easiest road to get there, and how long will

that road be?

Well - if you are talking about the Mac OS-X, consider this... SIP and Mac OS-X has been around for about the same length of time. Approx 5 years. To this day, there
is NO Sip phone running native on the Mac.  I don't count Gizmo because
they crippled it to only work with their servers so I'm told.

I've just now got the resip stack compiled and working on the Mac, I just dont know how to use it. I also discovered, there is NO Open source SIP phone using resiprocate. Could it be that everyone is going over to AIX? or just that it's so bloody difficult.

Some more specific questions:

1) Outside of Sipfoundry, do you know of any good cross-platform SIP/RTP stacks that even compete with you? Open Source, obviously.

I found oSipX, written in C, under GPL license.... some say it's pretty good. Since it was GPL, we couldn't use it commercially, so we chose resiprocate. It's just there is NO open source code using it yet. At least none that I can find... I just hope that
someone can come along and prove me wrong.

For RTP, I'm told that JRTPLIB is supposed to be good. It's LGPL license and
seems to be a lot better documented then resip....

2) In Sipfoundry we find the SipXtapi suite of libraries, and a more recent reSIProcate. It seems to me that * SipXtapi is a fairly easy api, I say "call this person" and the stack takes care of the rest. * SipXtapi knows nothing about instant messaging or presence. ("TAPI" is about phones anyway.)
 * reSIProcate does, and is more featureful anyway
 * reSIProcate too is quite easy to use, thanks to DUM

it is?  if you think so,  I can use some help from you...  :-)

* reSIProcate otoh, is only about SIP, so I'll need an RTP stack from somewhere

JRTPLIB - and there are others. Go here:
http://research.edm.uhasselt.be/jori/jrtplib/jrtplib.html

The actual question: Have I understood this correctly?

You seem to understand it better then I do.... :-(

3) Looking at this:
http://warsaw.sjc.purplecomm.com/wiki/index.php?title=Strawman_Task_List

WOW - havn't seen this one yet - what is the status of this work?  Do they
have the Mac port done yet?   If so,  where can I download it?

it seems someone might have asked himself these same questions and also some others I don't even know to ask yet.

You can bet your sweet dippy that I have - thats for sure... I think an effort to document the resip stack, DUM, and others certainly needs to be in the works... There are lots of gaps in the WIKI, and very very few examples other then the 'test' directories, but these are not written like one would write a real SIP phone.
Final questions therefore: Am I in the right place asking these questions?

If you are addressing the resip developers,  then yes...  this is the place.

Is someone also on his way doing the best OSS softphone ever on resiprocate?

I'm working on the Mac.... I just need to learn how to use resip... I sent in some code to one of the main developers, and awaiting to see from him of my approach is valid... On the Mac, I've integrated it with Objective C... and have to abide by certain restrictions on integrating with Objective C. I have the concept of a "bridge" module
working.

Would it be a good idea to do that?

Indeed.. we need more people doing the Mac... not sure about OSS... is OSS = Mac?

henrik ingo
finland, where supposedly our president looks like Conan O'Brien

I wouldn't comment on what I think OUR president looks like,  but I'm sure
it won't take a vivid imagination to cook up a "look alike", and I can assure
you,  it wont be good.  :-)

John