Re: [reSIProcate] Hi guys, am I in the right place?

Spam detection software, running on the system "vicuna.estacado.net", has

Content preview:  A few comments are inline. On Sunday 16 October 2005
  04:35 am, John Draper wrote: > Henrik Ingo wrote: > > Hi guys > > > > It
  seems to me, that there are great Open Source sip-proxies out > > there,
  but not so many great OSS softphones. > > OSS - which OS is this? [...]

 pts rule name              description
 2.0 RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL      RBL: SORBS: sent directly from dynamic IP address
                            [67.166.218.120 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
 2.2 RCVD_IN_WHOIS_INVALID  RBL: CompleteWhois: sender on invalid IP block
          [67.166.218.120 listed in combined-HIB.dnsiplists.completewhois.com]
 1.7 RCVD_IN_NJABL_DUL      RBL: NJABL: dialup sender did non-local SMTP
                            [67.166.218.120 listed in combined.njabl.org]

The original message was not completely plain text, and may be unsafe to
open with some email clients; in particular, it may contain a virus,
or confirm that your address can receive spam.  If you wish to view
it, it may be safer to save it to a file and open it with an editor.

--- Begin Message ---
A few comments are inline.

On Sunday 16 October 2005 04:35 am, John Draper wrote:
> Henrik Ingo wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > It seems to me, that there are great Open Source sip-proxies out
> > there, but not so many great OSS softphones.
>
> OSS - which OS is this?

This is an abbreviation of Open Source Software.

> > Especially if we disregard the Linux-only ones. SipXPhone is one of
> > the better, but even that falls into the same category with many
> > freeware phones, they all have a lousy phone like interface which is
> > not even close to being user friendly.
>
> I don't even think SipXPhone is using resip,  is it?

The sipX stuff uses the sipXtackLib and sipXmediaLib from Pingtel.

> > I would like to see something that could seriously compete with Skype.
> > But then, who wouldn't... In fact, pulver.Communicator is the only one
> > I found if we go so far as to accept freeware. (And even that is
> > currently windows only.) So there is clearly a void to fill here.
>
> Yes - especially the Mac.  To this day, there is NO decent SIP phone for
> the Mac.  I wouldn't call
> X-Lite decent...  but Gizmo has promise, but I'm told it is designed to
> ONLY work in their
> server.
>
> You guys might be interested in this:   http://imfederation.com/
> Seems to be A federation of IM networks, committed to an interoperable
> world,
> and they also mention SIP.
>
> > So the question is, what would be the easiest road to get there, and
> > how long will
> >
> > that road be?
>
> Well - if you are talking about the Mac OS-X,  consider this...  SIP and
> Mac OS-X has
> been around for about the same length of time.  Approx 5 years.  To this
> day, there
> is NO Sip phone running native on the Mac.  I don't count Gizmo because
> they crippled it to only work with their servers so I'm told.
>
> I've just now got the resip stack compiled and working on the Mac,  I
> just dont
> know how to use it.
>
> I also discovered, there is NO Open source SIP phone using resiprocate.
> Could
> it be that everyone is going over to AIX?  or just that it's so bloody
> difficult.

Well, AIX is probably not competing with MacOSX even though they run on
similar processors now.  What you probably mean is IAX, which is yet another
PBX signaling/transport protocol.  From what I can tell, the world is moving
away from this direction, not towards it.  Asterisk's approach to SIP is to
essentially map a subset of SIP onto IAX, impose extra restrictions, and let
Asterisk mangle the data as it sees fit.  The signaling and media are forced
along the same path, which may or may not be what you want, but you lose
flexibility with respect to SIP.   The biggest reason you don't see more OSS
developed with reSIP is its license.  I have a mostly-complete plugin for
kopete to do presence and IM using resip with some stubs for voice calls.  I
haven't made it available because parts of Kopete are GPL and reSIP's VOCAL
license isn't GPL-compatible according to license@xxxxxxxx  This actually
prevents KDE applications from being written with reSIP unless you have a Qt
developer license, although I suspect Trolltech would be forgiving on this
issue.

> > Some more specific questions:
> >
> > 1) Outside of Sipfoundry, do you know of any good cross-platform
> > SIP/RTP stacks that even compete with you? Open Source, obviously.

http://sofia-sip.sourceforge.net/  They haven't released anything yet, but
what's in their CVS repository looks promising.and a few projects are using
it.

For media, look into sipXmedia.

--- End Message ---