Re: [reSIProcate] epoll prototype patch

Hi Phillip,

libevent is a great library. Unfortunately, to use it with resip would require even more radical surgery than I've already done. Since my goal is to converge with mainline sooner rather than later (to avoid risk of an internal company fork) I didn't want to go this route, at least right now. To be clear, it isn't the effort involved in using libevent, but rather the behavior changes.

In terms of configuration, I think for now I'm just going to put in the #ifdefs in the code and probably patch up ./configure for linux users. More elaborate solutions (autoconf,CMake) would be up to someone else to convert the whole project.

Thanks,
Kennard

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Philip Kizer <pckizer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2010/11/16, at 17:50, Kennard White wrote:
> I would appreciate thoughts on the best way to determine if a given platform
> supports epoll(). Should I add this as an option to the configure script? Is
> there any more automatic approach?

I'm not sure off-hand, but I'd look to other projects that make use of OS-offered event functions like libevent.

Since I do not know if you can use libevent (<http://monkey.org/~provos/libevent/>) directly, perhaps you can at least see how that project does it and use similar mechanisms.

If you could use libevent (or its mechanisms), you might even get support for kevents and other more efficient implementations along with it.

-p