Re: [reSIProcate] session timers and InviteSession

On 10/7/05, Scott Godin <slgodin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jason,
>
> One problem with this that I can think of stems from incompatible
> commericial clients/UA's that I've test with.   Essentially some UA's forget
> to increment the version numbers in their SDP offers/answers.  If we
> implement this approach, then we will miss a hold/unhold requests from such
> clients (ie. no callbacks).  Currently the sdp is still passed to
> application so it is up to the application to make the decision if the SDP
> session info has actually changed or not - this offers flexibility.

Keep in mind that this is only for session-timer reINVITE or UPDATEs.
So we do not expect the far side to change the SDP on a session timer
transaction.

> That being said.  More comments inline...
>
> Scott
> ________________________________

I meant version in both cases. I guess it is feasible for the far end
to change its IP address on a reINVITE and we may need to consider
this case and call the new callback in this case as well.

> b) receive 200 OK with sdp with different origin as previously
> - the spec allows this to occur but I don't know what we should do. If
> we call onAnswer in this case it may cause grief for the application
> since onAnswer will be called without having called provideOffer(). I
> propose that we call a new handler onRemoteSdpModified() in this case.
>

> [Scott] - I'm OK with a new callback.  But I didn't really have a problem
> with the onAnswer callback either.

It forces the applications to store more state to be able to deal with
an onAnswer call that doesn't match a provideOffer call.

> receiver INVITE (with sdp)
> - if the sdp differs (version) from current remote sdp call onOffer.
> Expect that the application will call provideAnswer.
>
> receiver INVITE (no sdp)
> - I don't think we handle this case correctly.
> - should call onOfferRequired.
>

> [Scott]  I agree.
>

> sender UPDATE (no sdp)
> - no callbacks when 200 is received.
> - note that the api will not allow an UPDATE to occur during a
> session-timer that includes an SDP.
>
> receiver UPDATE (no sdp)
> - no callback when UPDATE is received. just send the 200.
>
> receiver UPDATE (with sdp)
> - call onOffer. provideAnswer will send the 200
>

> [Scott] - Shouldn't this just make the same checks as the reciever INVITE
> (with sdp) case?

Yes. it should be. It should also call the new callback