From: slgodin@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:slgodin@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Godin
Sent: Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2016 20:59
To: Lehmann, Joerg <Joerg.Lehmann@xxxxxxxx>; resiprocate-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [reSIProcate-users] Handling of 408 Request Timeout for INFO requests in DUM

Hi Joerg,

After examining your log file, I see why this is happening.  The 200 response from the far end is missing the To tag.  This must be an old RFC2543 implementation, I've never run across an endpoint that doesn't provide a to tag in the 200 response to date, which is why you are probably the first to notice this.  This is causing the INFO to go out without a to tag, and the resulting internally generated 408 to fabricate a to tag and not match the "to-tag"less Dialog correctly.

Seems we are not correctly handling RFC2543 backwards compatibility support correctly with internally generated responses.

From RFC3261

A UAC MUST be prepared to receive a response without a tag in the To
field, in which case the tag is considered to have a value of null.

This is to maintain backwards compatibility with RFC 2543, which
did not mandate To tags.
I believe I found the code that is inserting the To tag into the 408 response and there are comments in it, that indicate some confusion as to whether we should be adding it or not.  Check out Helper.cxx makeResponse (near line 391):
if(responseCode > 100 &&
   response.const_header(h_To).isWellFormed() && !
   response.const_header(h_To).exists(p_tag))
{
    // Only generate a To: tag if one doesn't exist. Think Re-INVITE.
    // No totag for failure responses or 100s
    // ?bwc? Should we be generating to-tags for failure responses or not?
    // The comments say no, but the code says yes. Which is it?
   response.header(h_To).param(p_tag) = Helper::computeTag(Helper::tagSize);
 }
I don't really understand the comment about Re-INVITE's.  More research into the "correct" behaviour here would be required to understand the correct fix.  If anyone has an opinion on this, please chime in.  In the meantime, you could try just removing this block and seeing if everything is still working.
Scott