Re: [reSIProcate-users] Resiprocate and LCS/Microsoft OfficeCommunicator

Inline...

From: Vamsi Pottangi [mailto:vamsipottangi@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sat 7/14/2007 1:43 AM
To: Scott Godin
Cc: Ashraf Mohamed; resiprocate-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [reSIProcate-users] Resiprocate and LCS/Microsoft OfficeCommunicator

Hi Scott,

I have a basic doubt.
You mean to say that we can do IM/Presence fedaration with LCS with CSTA gateway setup?
[Scott] The LCS CSTA License/documentation is free from Microsoft.  A CSTA Server is not used for IM/Presence it is used to report phone states to Communicator and to allow calls from your PBX phone to be placed from the Communicator GUI.  It is essentially a gateway between your PBX and LCS for call control.  Note:  Some modifications to resip are required in order to get this working (ie. allowing offer/answer of non-SDP content types).

How about OCS? Heard that we need some OCS license stack from Microsoft to fedarate IM/Presence? Basic calling via CSTA should be working anyway without the license.
Is my understanding correct?
[Scott]  I've only delt with LCS to date - but I suspect all of this applies equally to OCS.  As far as implementing LCS full IM and presence and registration via NTLM/Kerberos you do need a license from Microsoft.  At last check the fee was this was pretty substantial.  However, if you are building a server that only wants to do simple IM (no presence), then it is possible to use (almost) straight SIP to communicate to LCS - in this case you are not using any Microsoft Proprietary protocol extensions and there is no license fee.  In order to bypass the NTLM/Kerberos authentication issues you must configure your server as an Authorized Host in LCS.

How can we pull the presence information from OCS? without the license. What sort of license is this?
[Scott]  Microsoft Presence documents are proprietary.  You need the license I mentioned above.  I think it's called something like: "Microsoft SIP Protocol Extensions".   You should contact Microsoft directly to get more (accurate) info.

Thanks,
~Vamsi