Re: [reSIProcate] The Future of nICEr

I have the same position as Scott.

Cheers,
Dan

On Monday, February 6, 2017 4:21 PM, Scott Godin <slgodin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Adam,

This move makes sense to me.  I don't currently use nICEr in any projects and if I need it in the future, I'm happy to get it from another location.

Thanks!

Scott

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Adam Roach <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Resiprocate developers (cc: Resiprocate users, selected developers) --

I'm writing this on behalf of the WebRTC implementation team at Mozilla.

As many of you are probably aware, the Resip repository currently contains an ICE [1] library, called nICEr [2]. Several years ago, this library was pulled into Firefox as a component of our WebRTC implementation. Initial improvements and bug-fixes in nICEr were upstreamed from the Firefox repository into the Resiprocate repository on a periodic basis. The most recent such upstreaming was in April of 2015. Since that time, the nICEr implementation in Firefox has had many additional improvements and fixes [3].

At the same time, we note that nICEr in the Resiprocate repo does not appear to build any longer on modern systems. As a consequence, upstreaming our changes would either require us to troubleshoot and fix the resiprocate/nICEr build system, or to blindly apply changes without the ability to test whether they work in the Resip codebase. We further conclude that the inability to build the version of nICEr in the Resip repo is a good indication that it is probably not being actively used or maintained in the Resiprocate project.

Based on the foregoing: we’d like to officially re-home nICEr into the Firefox repository. This would involve (a) adding a build target for nICEr as a standalone library in the Firefox repository, and (b) removing the files from the resip nICEr directory and replacing them with a pointer to the Firefox repository.

We would like feedback from the Resiprocate community on this proposed change before taking any actions towards such a move. If you have any input or information -- even if it is just "I don't use nICEr" -- that would be helpful. Please respond by Friday of next week (February 17) with comments, support, or objections; and use the resiprocate-devel list for this discussion.

Thanks!

/Adam Roach
Resiprocate Developer, 2002-2010
Mozilla Principal Engineer

___
[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rf c5245
[2] https://github.com/resiprocate /nICEr
[3] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/b uglist.cgi?list_id=13429770&ch field=resolution&chfieldfrom= 2015-04-01&chfieldvalue=fixed& short_desc_type= allwordssubstr&short_desc=ice& resolution=FIXED&chfieldto= Now&query_format=advanced& component=WebRTC%3A%20Networki ng&product=Core