Dario - excellent point about makeUACDialogSet - that is definitely not thread safe.

So the conclusion is.... makeXXXXX API's are NOT threadsafe.

Scott

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Diego Carvalho Domingos <ddomingos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,
Thanks for participating in this discussion. My point is that, if calling makeXXXX is not thread safe, there is no use case for sendCommand, since the code would need to be already executing in the DUM thread to create the message to be sent. And my goal here is to get the DUM threading page updated to be more clear about these important details, specially explaining the situations where using the commands provided by resiprocate is possible (and when you should create your own commands). Regards,

Diego

From: Dario Bozzali [mailto:Dario.Bozzali@ifmgroup.it]
Sent: terça-feira, 31 de janeiro de 2017 06:42
To: Scott Godin <sgodin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Diego Carvalho Domingos <ddomingos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; resiprocate-devel@resiprocate.org
Subject: RE: [reSIProcate] InviteSessionHandle and Multithreading

Hi Scott,

I was not aware of the issue. I invoke makeXXXX APIs in the same thread that I use to process DUM events. I use sync commands on DUM objects in that thread instead of using DumCommands (i.e. end() instead of InviteSessionEndCommand, or send() instead of SendCommand).

I think that your proposed solution (invoke makeXXXX API in DUM thread) could be acceptable. I have a couple of questions about it anyway. In this case we can use either send() or SendCommand, right? If we want to invoke makeXXXX API in DUM thread (and application thread is not used to process DUM events like in my application), do we need to use custom DUM command?

One last question. Diego told “calling makeRegistration, makeSubscription and makeOutOfDialogRequest from the application thread and use sendCommand would not be a problem then”. Since all that methods invoke DialogUsageManager::makeUacDialogSet(), we have the issue for any of the makeXXXX API, right?
Thank you and best regards,
Dario