Re: [reSIProcate] resiprocate-devel Digest, Vol 48, Issue 18

Thanks for the heads up Adam,
Here is the first problem
1- The architecture-ostype (in my case mips-linux) does not match with platform string in the name of my cross compiler (mips_fp_le-gcc). I dont plan to change either of the names as I have lot going on already. What can I do to get around?
Here is a little sample output
mkdir -p contrib/ares-build.Linux.mips
cd contrib/ares-build.Linux.mips && \
 ../ares/configure   --host=mips-linux
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
   If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
Configuring ares 1.1.2
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for mips-linux-strip... no
checking for strip... strip
checking for mips-linux-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for mips-linux-ranlib... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking host system type... mips-unknown-linux-gnu

Adam Roach wrote:

Mandeep Ahuja wrote:

I need the autotools scripts that you guys had earlier. Remember the 'use_autotools.sh' and 'auto_gen.sh'. I can't find them in the latest checkout. I think last time i checked out was in 2004. If noone has it will the old one work with the new revision. I am doing cross-compiling.

The autotools setup never really got completed (at least, not to everyone's satisfaction), and has been pulled out of the repository for a long time now. Even if you can find a copy, I do _not_ suggest you use it. It is highly doubtful that it will work with the current tree (which has been vigorously reorganized since the last time anyone tried autotools) -- at least, not without a lot of effort.

You're not stuck, though. The current build system has pretty good support for cross compilation using the gnu toolchain. Run the configure script (in the root of the project tree); when it asks which toolchain you plan on using, answer "gnu-cross." It will then prompt you for the path to the cross compiler and the name of the platform formatted as architecture-ostype (e.g., "arm-linux"). This platform name must match the platform string in the name of your cross compiler. (i.e., if your cross compiler is called "arm-linux-gcc", then your platform is called "arm-linux").

If you have any problems with the cross-compilation support in the existing build system, post here about it so we can try to make things work better.

/a