[reSIProcate] RES: difference between PUBLISH and notify

Hi Subbu,

Notifies are usually answers to Subscribes requests. Publishes are sent to the presence agent (usually a SIP proxy) by a presentity (usually a User Agent) to inform its state. So, when a presence agent receives a subscribe request, it can respond about the state of a given presentity without consulting it, because this presence agent a received publish of this presentity previously. You can find more information in RFC 3903.

The others two questions I can’t answer because I don’t have experience in use of reciprocate to implement these cases.

Regards,

Gustavo Honorato

Software Engineer

Inovax Engenharia de Sistemas